Thursday, November 23, 2006

Summary- Lecture 4

Acossiate Professor Stockwell's lecture today was a chance to transcend beyond the realms of logical positivism and into the meaning behind the world we have constructed around us. The thing that stuck me most was the Disneyland/museum analogy. All of my senses are telling me, whilst im in Disneyland, that everything is real. The branded Disney man hole cover, the disney railroad and Tarzan's island. But for reasoning beyond that, I know it has all been fabricated, set up delibratley to entertain and set a mood.

But is this , as professor Stockwell mentioned, not unlike the museum accross town? Why are the exhibits there more real than the confines of Disneyland? They too were created at a point, pulled out of thin air and pursued by the people.

After that lecture, I believe in sophism. Surely we can all do better if we are given the same opportunities and all have the right to an opinion. If we all represent ourselves through our education and knowledge, perhaps the world could prosper even more.

I can see now how im staring at the wall in Socrates' cave. Everything about my life is a fabricated representation of reality. To think that this hole is being dug deeper and deeper by the day suggests that my generation and the generations ahead, need to be more aware of the forms.

No comments: