Thursday, November 30, 2006

Summary Lecture 6

I was very interested to hear the contents of this lecture, especially the references to copyright law.

With a high bandwith conection from Telstra running into my Dell computer at home (Brands dominate my life), I am comfortably able to reach my 10gb download limit (Flowing into what I thought, up until recently, was a big hard drive at 80gb, however my Ipod is proving this wrong).

The content that I download would be, at a copyright level, alarming. mabey 3, 700mb movies, 30-40 music tracks at 3-4mb each and contless pictures and data.

When reaching my limit, I wonder if telstra passes on my information to the relative governing bodies of entertainment. I mean seriously, Im not downloading 10gb of word documents right. It isn't hard to figure out.

So where does it stop? Does 10gb a month of illegal activity warrent an arrest? or mabey if I were to change my plan to a higher download limit, would that be less acceptable to the entertainment industry?

Its all a disgrace. I have personally boycotted all music written by Metallica in a protest to their bold attempt to punish downloaders. They are millionare rockstars making millions of dollars from free music, raising a fan base, encouraging people to buy their records and attend their gigs: yet they are greedy enough to want it all...

Music should be free. Does Di Vinchi recieve proceeds from people looking at the mona lisa? Music is art, and bands should be writing music for those purposes and Ipods, instead of holding a monopoly share for these poeple, should be the access point (80gbs of free music shouldn't be too hard to fathom)... the world would be an infinitly better place. I don't care about the 'internet law'. Im going to continue to download my music, admiring my favourite bands and indulging myself in music, instead of only being able to access what I can afford, which would be about 1 CD a month.

No comments: