Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The use of new communication technologies to communicate with my friends and family

I use microsoft messenger service to communicate with my friends and family on a daily basis back in the late 90's. The first use of such technology was prompted by a family member moving overseas to work. Rather than pay an expensive rate to use the phone for a limited amount of time, my family and I could communicate with my ex-patriot sister for the cost of a local phone call (dial-up in those days) and "chat" to her for as long as they saw fit.
In the process of using this technlogy, I found that most of my friends had hotmail accounts which automaticaly made them ellegable to communicate over the internet also. We would discuss assignments, exchange files and talk about the preceeding day at school. This transformed into an organising tool for the holidays and right up until now, a way of keeping in contact.
Our family still uses this service, although in a slightly more advanced format. Introduced along the way was the webcam and the microphone which enabled us not only to see my sister who was more than 6000kms away but it also enabled us to speak to her (all in real time) and now even the local phone call cost has been disabled (cable internet entered the spectrum).

No comments: